Welcome in English or Ahlan Wasahlan in Arabic or Selamat Datang in Malay.

I have been a Human Resource professional for more than 20 years working in a wide spectrum of areas within Human Resource. I have progressed up the corporate ladder from the very bottom with rapid and multiple promotions, praise to God. My main interests are motivation and child development

If you have any specific queries you would like to post to me, please email to amzzah_naseehah@ymail.com.

Kind regards
hjmalek

Pages

Wednesday 16 July 2008

Denying comfort zone to unleash our talent

As I had mentioned previously, I currently have 3 teams in my unit reporting to me, each led by a Team Lead. Uniquely, the coverage of each team is dissimilar due to the complexity of each team's roles. However each team has an equal ratio of coverage to the number of team members. So I have a large size team, a medium size team and a small size team in my unit.

Each of my Team Leads has their own strengths and weaknesses. One of them, let us call her L, has high management skill but is still developing her knowledge and skill of the job. She also needs to work on her temperament, as she is easily agitated by new things and aversive to managing difficult subordinate or handling difficult situation. L is the Team Lead of the large size team.

As I had mentioned in my earlier posting, I had to let 5 of my team members joined another unit due to operations expansion, 2 of them progressed with promotion. Then, I had 2 resignations in the team during the same period. To make matter worse, I had to release one of my Team Leads to head a new unit. I took this opportunity to reorganise my team.

In the midst of the reorganisation, L approached me. She wanted the team she is leading to be resized so that the 3 teams in my unit to be equally distributed. Somewhere along the discussion, she also disclosed to me that she was uncomfortable to handle payroll activities, one of the knowledge and skill sets she was developing. So she was hoping by resizing the teams, she would not be handling payroll activities.

After listening to her, I calmly told her that with the payroll activities skill she was developing, she would be able to expand her knowledge and skill on the trades of the job. With the knowledge she would be able to lead the team more effectively as well as beefing up her dossier which will be beneficial for her future progression. I also told her relying entirely on her management skill strength would be insufficient to lead the team effectively. By possessing the knowledge and skills of her job, she would be able to acquire the confidence of her superior, respected by her colleagues and being looked up by her subordinates. I shared with her that what she had confided to me was really her fear to leave her comfort zone. She had been comfortable relying on her current skill sets that she was reluctant to expand her spectrum.

In life, we need to be bold and take calculated risk to progress. The world is revolving and takes in new days and nights, and we as human needs to seize the opportunity and unleash our talent.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for dropping by to my site